Wednesday 14 March 2012

Going for gold

Even I think that's a rubbish title. (Actually, didn't there used to be a quiz programme? Goooooo-ing for, gooooo-ing for GOLD!)
Is this a small terraced house in the wrong part of Cambridge, or is it in fact Versailles
New clock purchased for the study/ craft room (it isn't wonky in real life). This was cheap cheap from Home Sense, which is TK Maxx but with home things, as indicated by the name. When you admire my pink woodchip I do ask you to remember that this was Literally The Only House In Cambridge We Could Afford (I appreciate that shouldn't stop me wallpapering. We had to stop various parts of this house leaking/ dropping down first though. One day we will get to Aesthetics).
I found a ray of sunlight and I put my knitting in it
Progress so far on Chrissy's nice shawl which I am knitting along. Look at that shiny yarn! It's silk! It's beautiful but completely inflexible! It was getting snagged on my hands but it has gone from Winter to Spring while I have been knitting it so now my hands are smooth again and it is going better.
Remember not to stint on the butter. It's not as if it puts weight on or furs up your arteries or anything
Golden kippers. Partner and I are going through a phase of eating foods that are more traditionally enjoyed by the over-75s. Partner is particularly enjoying faggots, we have staged a mini-revival of corned beef hash (shall I tell you why it went out of fashion? You can't open the tin. I had to google!) and I myself am wild for kippers. You can buy them for £1.29 a packet in Marks and Spencer, then you just pierce the packet and microwave for 2 minutes (ignore the instructions). They are delicious and I eat them like a cavewoman, then regret it all day as the entire house smells like kippers and I can taste them for a week.

Where will it end? I just hope I don't find anywhere that sells polony.

11 comments:

Chrissy said...

I used to love polony!

Now thanks to you I have the Going for Gold theme tune going round in my head. ARGGHGHGHGHGGGH!

The shawl is looking good. I definitely recommend hand cream when working with lace if you suffer from brillo pad hands like I do.

Between Me and You said...

Corned Beef was banned in our house by my Father. He never forgave a certain country for exporting their rotten beef.
Beautiful Shawl - you have incredible patience working with so fine a yarn. Keep going!
You should watch Masterchef - some of their food is positively celestial!

supertinks said...

I too now have the theme for Going for Gold stuck in my head. Damn you woman!

I love corned beef hash. Haven't had it for ages, actually. *pencils it in for next week's menu*

Grateful4Crochet said...

As long as you don't start eating spam in a can, then all is good with the world!
(I hope spam is a thing over there, or this comment will make no sense)

Lynne said...

Ooo!! I absolutely love your clock, it's gorgeous! I am also a big fan of kippers, but not of the smell. So, sadly, I haven't eaten them for years.

Vivianne said...

I always felt sorry for the GfG contestants, who were already foreign, and then had to try and understand Henry Kelly's mangled version of English with his very odd pronunciations....

Erica said...

What in the world are faggots? I know what it means here in the US, but I'm curious what your definition is...

Magpie Mimi said...

You can get polony in Tescos...go on you know you want some!

Susie said...

I am having trouble thinking how to describe faggots ;-). They're a meat product (yum!) shaped in a ball. I think they're flavoured with pepper (i.e. ground pepper not peppers). They're very solid. We in the UK are lucky to have the delightfully branded Mr Brain's Faggots, but because I am cheap and spend all my money on shoes I get them from the butcher at 75p each and when I go in and buy two he must think, hello, last of the big spenders.

I am so looking for polony in Tesco. I might even go to the big Tesco Of Doom specially.

Chants Cottage said...

Polony also available in Morrisons in Crediton. And tripe too! So that's sunday lunch sorted. Blee.

twistedByKnaves said...

Where do you get your cavewomen and what is the correct way to eat them?

Sorry: I've been incorrigibly trivial and facetious for half a century: far too late to change now.

Just came across your blog from Chronicles of the Troll family via Chateau Moorhen. Marvellous stuff: thank you!