Tuesday 10 January 2012

Things that are utterly misconceived, 2012 edition

Occasionally I think, hmm. I should get out of my rut. I should do blue-sky thinking (that's a link for my photo)
There's blue behind the cloud. Look more carefully
And I should try something new.

I am kicking around the idea of trying 12 New Things In 2012 in a wild, feel the fear and do it anyway kind of vein (bearing in mind that I think I am being adventurous when I go to a different Co-op, so please don't be expecting things that you yourselves would think are exciting. You have to lower your excitement threshold here so it is almost on the floor).

One of the nice things about living in Cambridge is that there is always something going on so I am in a good place for trying new things. I have been out today and I have been snapping possibilities.
I am sure Hoopla Impro are very good, but improvisation is what they will make me do in hell. Then they will bring on the black granny squares for me to sew together

This makes me want to say something flip but I can't think of anything. If I'd done an improvised comedy workshop I'd be able to, though
Readers: I cannot do comedy improv. Please don't make me. For those of you who have seen The League Of Gentlemen, Legz Akimbo casts a terribly long shadow, also I used to hyperventilate in Drama lessons at school. And I am not sure I fancy a talk about anti-capitalism. It is bringing back terrible memories of the time I attempted to do an MBA and found myself in a tutorial on branding saying to everyone imperiously, what, have none of you read No Logo? (I don't have an MBA).

So, I wondered about trying a life drawing class. I have looked at the website and I could do it on a Monday morning. I have to be honest and say that my current finances would naturally propel me more towards being the life model than paying to draw the life model, but that may be a New Thing too far. We might have to work up to that one. Perhaps next December. Oh God, can you imagine seeing the dimples on your bum rendered in 20 different versions of pink pastel? I would have to be knitting quite a bit more lace to get quite a bit more self-esteem before I attempted that.

So what do you all think? Should I try a life-drawing class, and report back? I thought I might go for The Erotic Line one at the end of January, as then I wouldn't have to engage with colour and also presumably I would only have to buy a pencil. In fact, I might already have the right pencil! And then I wouldn't need to buy anything at all. Or do you think a life-drawing class on a Monday morning in a community centre in January sounds as if it might be a bit awkward generally? (Goosepimples. And I can't draw, in case you were wondering).

What do you think? Would you be interested in a report if I did it? Because I could probably brave embarrassment, dimply bums and penury for the sake of an anecdote...

3 comments:

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Yes, report back! Also, ask around as someone may have extra pencils for you. (And, having an MBA myself, I can only imagine how your No Logo conversation went.)

The Foggy Knitter said...

You're more adventurous than me. In order to do something different today I went to Sainsbury's instead of Waitrose. Have fun and do report back, just keep blogging, your posts are great.

pinkundine said...

Definitely want to hear about a Monday morning life drawing class - the anecdote will so be worth it ;)