Tuesday 13 July 2010

Race for Life. We did it ;-)

OK, well, you know what it was last weekend.

And so I'm going to make you look at my photographs.

Here is my mother carefully pinning a race number on her sister. You will notice that she is managing to do this without exposing my aunt's underwear. When she pinned mine, however, it involved lifting my skirt above my head. I am not sure why but I think it came from the same impulse as spitting on a hanky and rubbing it on your child's face even though they are 43 and a barrister.

Here we (me, Aunty Kath, Aunty Maureen) are ready to set off with my mother taking the photo to keep her out of trouble.

People had notices on their backs about who they were running for and some of them were very touching. We didn't have this as we had been instructed very firmly by S who is married to my cousin R 'not to go writing anything depressing'. I have to say though, that although obviously cancer is intrinsically a bit depressing and you can't entirely get away from that, the walk wasn't depressing at all. We had a lot of fun.

Here we all are at the start. The runners set off before us. What was quite nice was that there were people along the walk cheering and encouraging us on. We needed the encouragement as we thought we had nearly finished at one point and we had only done 2K.

Tutus were very much in evidence. I may possibly make one for Aunty Kath next year. I think that would test the strength of our familial bond. I did the walk in my dress and Birkenstocks, and at one point during the race we were joined by the Mayoress of Chesterfield who expressed doubt that I would be able to complete it in my unsuitable footwear. But, not a single blister! If that isn't a ringing endorsement for Birkenstocks I don't know what is. This photograph was taken just before one of our number faced the terrible temptation of walking past Evans, where there was a sale on. But you'll be pleased to know that we kept her on track.

And here we are after the race. I'm pleased to tell you that not only did we not come last but we're going to do it again next year and (apparently) we are going to do the 10K. Manufacturers of pink trainers should take the opportunity to get their stocks up as I imagine my mother will be starting the search very soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Looks very fun :)

resa said...

Congratulations! I can't believe you did it in Birkenstocks- I always found new and exciting ways to trip in them. Of course, I could say that about a lot of shoes, so that's not saying much.

sulkycat said...

I love everything about this post, it's very special (loved the bit about Evans sale) - well done all of you wonderful ladies!

Susie said...

Thank you everyone :-) We did have a good time, it was a lot of fun.