Friday 2 July 2010

4 months of thrilling austerity and creativity

I have taken the pledge. Not the no alcohol one (can you still do this?) although I might was well do, because these days half a glass of shandy and I’m anybody’s at all. I have no tolerance. No, I have taken the Wardrobe Refashion pledge for 4 months.
4 month pledge

The Pledge

I, Susie, pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 4 months. I pledge that i shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovoted, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftiness brings! Signed, Susie.

(You see how I personalised it? I put my name in!)

I’ve tried to do this before (I’ve not tried to do it officially through Wardrobe Refashion, but I’ve tried not to buy new clothes for a set amount of time), but I’ve always failed. I remembered this and thought, God that doesn’t bode well, but on considering further I think this was because when I was in my job and working long hours, I didn’t have a lot of time or energy for creative pursuits: buying clothes and putting looks together was pretty much all I could manage. So, although not buying clothes doesn’t sound like a big thing, in reality it cut me off from the only creative act I was up to at that point. Since my job went to hell in a handcart in an impressively dramatic fashion, however, I’ve had lots of time to be as creative as I’ve wanted to be, and I haven’t felt the urge to buy clothes as much: in fact, I haven’t felt the urge to buy clothes at all. That’s because capitalism sells us back our own repressed creative urges so we can be kept in a state of wanting something undefined. Not to be political. Anyway, I have lots of ideas for upcycling things, we’ll see how many I’m able to get off my bum and do!

8 comments:

Artygal/Lalheg said...

I love that critique of capitalism!

Absinthe Fairy said...

I am six months into my twelve month pledge, found the wardrobe refashion pledge in month three of my self imposed ban, but never managed to get around to joining the site.

Anonymous said...

wow - well done you - never been brave enough to go for it - love refashioned things though.. shall be watching with interest :)

Susie said...

Ialheg, I slipped it in there ;-)

Thanks, CIG! Absinthe fairy, wow, 12 months, I am impressed.

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Just wanted to say hi as I've just signed up to Wardrobe Refashion as well, and am also from Cambridge :)

Susie said...

Hi Heavenly Anarchist, great name :-). Lovely to meet someone from Cambridge!

Silver said...

LOL. That sign-off sounds like the one I've been trying to avoid using on Every Single Blog Post I write — "...we'll see what happens!" "...we'll see how much I actually get done!" I don't find it annoying when OTHER people do it, apparently, or maybe I just don't find it annoying when you do. Ha!

Scrollwork said...

Hi, Susie. I found you today via TeamUpcyclers' blog directory. This particular post was so right on that I posted a link to it on my Facebook fan page, excerpting the part that starts with "Since my job went to hell in a handcart..." to the end of the post.

The link's at
https://www.facebook.com/ShopatSwoosh

Nice to meet you!